Thursday, November 3, 2011

Meet Tanya

Greetings!

If it couldn't already be guessed, it must be said: I'm a lover of food. In truth, I am interested in a massive array of things but, above all, I consider myself a food-obsessed person. I want to know all about all aspects of food. I want to know what kind of seeds were used and who saved them? I want to know where those seeds were sown and by whom? I want to know about the cultivation and the harvesting. I want to hear the stories of the farmers-- the way they were treated, their rights and the support they have (or don't have) via our national and global food policies. I want to know how far this food traveled to get to our kitchens. Exactly how a dish is prepared and plated and by whom it was created. I want to admire how my food looks on the plate, breath deeply its aroma, and pick apart its flavors. I want to value how it makes me feel, what it does for my body, my mind and my spirit. I want to value what it means to my family, my friends, my culture and to the history of man. I want to embrace the art, entertainment and sheer joy of food.

Well, I don't just want to do all of these things, I do them. My contributions to this blog are one manifestation of this love. The opportunity to take part in this Hansik food tour incorporates so many of the things I care deeply about and despite our non-stop schedule and the overtime work my gut had to do to process it all, I have been truly blessed.

You might be curious to know more and I'd be happy to tell you. But we've got a lot to cover and if I can tell you just one thing about me, it is that I'm a lover of food. If we were going for labels, I might eschew the term "foodie" for one a little more holisitic: ethicurean-- someone who seeks 'SOLE' food that is  Sustainable, Organic, Local, and Ethical. But as with everything, I also believe in a balance. I believe in being kind to yourself, letting go of dogmas and egos and just enjoying yourself. If a strangers offered me half a fast-food burger that I would never have selected in a moment alone, I would rather choose to create that moment of sharing and gratitude so often found in food culture than to let my food ideology deprive me of it. This food tour, however, combined the best of both worlds. I hope you enjoy reading our stories as much as I've enjoyed the journey. And even more, I hope it encourages you to create your own food journey and to invite your own array of impassioned friends or strangers to share it with you.

Much love,
Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment