Friday, November 11, 2011

Meet Andy

G'day all im Andy! g'day is a phrase that has been stuck in my head for 4 and a half years now, ever since my volunteer work with CVA (Conservation Volunteers Australia). Despite having interests in farming and the environment as a kid my visit to Australia really got me interested in conservation and how we are impacting the environment. Subsequently I went on to study environmental science with a keen interest in pollution, water and biodiversity conservation.
Australia 2007: Working on invasive species removal

So what does that have to do with food and the food tour? Anina bear told me about the food tour, specifically that Greg bear had set out a plan to 'go organic' this interested me because I really had no idea organic existed in Korea, I just thought Korea was intensively striving to feed a large population in a small country where 70 % or so of land is mountainous. My perception of Korea has changed a little since the food tour. For me the organic factor brings with it hope of reducing the adverse impacts of many modern farming methods. Organic farming addresses water and biodiversity issues which are two very big concerns for me. I believe we should be working with nature not against it!

A praying mantis visits my arm

Aside from the environment, during the last 9 months I have discovered the gem that is Korean cuisine. Not only is it healthy its delicious, the childhood nightmares of eating particular vegetables are long gone, vegetables are not treated as separate entities here they are incorporated into the dishes e.g. in succulent soups and stews making eating a joy! I also never imagined I would eat fermented foods however living in Korea really opened my mind up to the diversity of cuisine across the globe!


Enjoy reading about team Happy Bear's food experience in Jollabukdo, S. Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment