Monday, November 7, 2011

Cabbage Kimchi: Or How I Learned to Stop Loving Saurkraut and Loving Kimchi




My Korean co-workers from last year really like this recipe when I made it in bulk for the winter season. I think my Western friends would too. It has a balance of sweet/ and sour flavor of sauerkraut with all the fiery essence of kimchi.

Prep:

Step One: Brining

2 cabbages and 1/2 cup of salt for each cabbage
*Note: quality salt is important, sodium chloride is great, because its one ingredient with no additives that can interfere with the brining.

I have two sinks. I fill one with water and the other I use for draining. I cut up the cabbages into small pieces. This makes it easier to ferment and to pack more into a smaller space. I soak the cabbages in the water to get off dirt but also soaking helps for the next step. The cabbages then go into the other sink and our salted with good quality salt. Then I mixed it together. Then I leave that for two hours.

Step Two: Making the Paste.

I simmer 6 cups of water with 1 cup of rice flour. I stir it and then leave it for 5 minutes. Then I come back and add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir until the paste is translucent. Then I put the pan in a larger ban which has cold water in it.

Step Three: Adding the additions

2 cups of red pepper
2 cups of crushed garlic
a whole piece of ginger, peeled and cut into little pieces
2 tablespoons of brine shrimp

I mix the additions to the paste when its cool to room temperature.

Step Four: Dunk the cabbage back into the water filled sink and drain it. You want to taste some to make sure its not too salty and if it mix it until a lot of the salt is in the water. I use enough water in the sink to dilute a lot it.

Step Five: Mix it all together

1. I take a large 5 liter glass jar and fill the jar with cabbage. Then mix in the paste. No technique has worked better with my hands.

2. Then I seal the glass jar and I open it twice a day to let the air out. In two-three days it should be ready to eat. Bubbling is normal. Put the jar in your refrigerator when not using it.

Step Six Eat: SO good with organic pork belly and tofu.

Eat Well and Enjoy!

Greg 
That's me in heaven!
*Notes:

IF you use soap to clean your hands normally try to refrain from this. Soap can throw the taste of the kimchi. I use some vinegar diluted in water to sanitize my hands. Then rinse my hands off.

 Glass has the best tasting Kimchi. it's also non-toxic unlike plastic.

Get organics where you can

No comments:

Post a Comment